This month is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM) and this week’s plan, prep and reflection is in celebration of APAHM. May honors the culture, traditions, and history of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the US and that’s what I plan to do in this blog, celebrate their delicious food. I LOVE Asian food 😋, but finding good Asian food in Dover, NH can be a challenge, so I’m often inspired by cooking programs and Tasty videos that feature Asian American Chefs and I’ve featured many those inspirations on Jackie’s Eats & Treats.
Asian American Inspired Dishes
- Korean Short Rib Ragu – So flavorful and a very unique take on the traditional Italian Short Rib Ragu.
- Korean Short Rib Tacos – Crispy flavored meat & Apple Kimchi Slaw, what could be better. I suggest you get this recipe saved for summer entertaining!
- Asian Chicken and Ramen Noodle Bowls – One of our winter favorites!
- Kimchi – This has become one of my favorite condiments! You can use it to flavor rice, scrambled eggs, jazz up Friday Night Tots/French Fries, accompany a noodle bowl (like the bowl above), on top of burger; Kimchi, how I love you ❤️
- Asian Chicken Stir Fry – What do you do if you have veggies that need to be used, a stir fry of course. Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, Sriracha, fish sauce, sesame oil, lime zest and lime juice; and you have magic!
- Spicy Pork Peanut Noodles – SAVE this recipe, so yummy!
- Tom Kha Gai (aka Thai Chicken Coconut Soup) – This soup is AMAZING. Go out of your food comfort zone and make this. Trust me, you will love it!
What I love about making Asian food is the freshness of their dishes and their uses of spices; like garlic, ginger and lemongrass; and sauces, like sesame oil, fish sauce and soy sauce. Fish sauce is a stable you need in your kitchen pantry because it elevates the food flavor so well, I use Red Boat. I would also suggest buying a better soy sauce , if you like Asian food, like Bluegrass Soy Sauce.
So as I was beginning my prep for the week and thinking back to all the delicious Asian food I’ve featured, I realized I haven’t created any Indian food for my site and since Indian food is some of our absolute favorite ❤️, Chicken Tikka Masala is up for Sunday. We’ll marinade the chicken today in yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, salt, cumin, garam masala, and paprika. YUM!
Since I’ll buy a large package of chicken and I’ll have ginger on hand from the Chicken Tikka Masala, we’ll also plan for one of my favorite marinades of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, chili sauce, sriracha, and lemon juice; Asian goodness here! I should be able to squeeze another chicken dish from the family pack of chicken I’ll buy 👍
The plan is in!
Sunday Meal – Chicken Tikka Masala – This will certainly be featured this week!
Meal 2 – Asian marinade chicken thighs and greens.
Meal 3 – David wants rolls at the grocery store and since we have some frozen burgers and Monday might be 80 degrees, a Burger BBQ is in order!
Meal 4 – Lemon garlic marinade chicken thighs and greens. Salads will become a stable as we head into warmer days.
I’m super excited about grocery shopping today, because I recently bought zero waste reusable produce bags.
What’s inspiring you this week and I’ve love to hear what your favorite Asian dishes are? Please leave a comment below!