Summer is the time for light and refreshing meals and I always find that lettuce wraps hit the spot on warm days, like my Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps did a few weeks ago with my own garden greens 😋. Today’s spin features ground beef, since we had burgers with the fixin’s, including butter lettuce, over the weekend.
The ingredients are very similar to my Chicken Lettuce Wraps with some slight variations to make the dish unique! I’m using Mirin this evening, along with the coconut oil, which will provide the sweetness and Sriracha which will provide the spiciness to the beef. The crunch of the water chestnut is great and the cilantro is a great herb to complete the dish. Again, lettuce wraps are super easy to make and once you’ve prepared your ingredients, it shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes to create an AMAZING meal!
- 1TBS of coconut oil
- 1lbs of ground beef
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning while cooking
- Couple dashes of fish sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped into a paste
- 1tbs of ginger, smashed and chopped into a paste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced and seperate the whites from the greens
- 1oz can of sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- For the finishing sauce
- 2TBS of oyster sauce
- 1TBS of Sriracha sauce
- 1TBS of low-sodium soy sauce
- 1TBS of Miran
- 1tsp of fish sauce
- For garnishing
- 1 bunch of cilantro, remove the leafs from the stem and chopped
- 1 head of romaine, butter, Boston, or bibb lettuce
1. Begin by preparing your ingredients, including whisking your ingredients for the sauce in a small mixing bowl.
2. Heat a non-stick pan or wok on medium heat and add your coconut oil.
3. Once the oil has melted, add your ground beef and season with a bit of salt & pepper and a couple dashes of fish sauce. I think fish sauce really compliments beef while it’s cooking 👍
4. Once you get some color on the ground beef, turn your heat to medium low and add the garlic and ginger. Saute until the garlic and ginger is fragrant.
5. Now add the peppers, the whites from the green onions and the water chestnuts.
6. Saute together for a few minutes and season with a bit more salt & pepper.
7. Now add your sauce and saute together for another few minutes, make sure all the liquid coats your ingredients.
8. In the final minute, taste the beef mixture to see whether any additional seasoning is needed and remove from the heat.
9. Serve warm and add a spoonful or two of the mixture to your lettuce leafs and garnish with the green onion tops and cilantro. Enjoy and cheers!