Pesto is one the best sauces on earth and today I’m sharing my secrets to create this classic dish with you ❤ Don’t miss out on this freshness.
Here’s my secrets:
1. I start by toasting my pine nuts, this brings out the nuttyness.
2. I add my basil after I’ve blended the other ingredients. This prevents the basil from getting too bruised.
3. I also add acid (i.e. lemon zest and juice 🍋), which adds a little zing to the sauce 😋
- 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of fresh basil
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- ~1/4 cups of Olive oil
- Salt, for seasoning
1. Begin by toasting your pine nuts. You can do this in dry cooking pan or in the oven. You’re aiming for golden brown pine nuts. Allow the pine nuts to cool.
2. Once the pine nuts have cooled, add them to a food processor with the garlic and Parmesan cheese. Blend together completely.
3. Add your basil, lemon zest and juice to the food processor and pulse with while adding your olive oil. Finish with a bit of salt.
4. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
5. Serve with *pasta or as a bread smear. I hope you enjoy and cheers 👍
- Simply toss your pasta with the pesto and some of the pasta water to tighten up the sauce 😋
- Add some roasted tomatoes for additional goodness ❤