Whether it's breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, this American classic is creamy, delicious and comforting!
- 32 oz frozen hash browns, thawed
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 white onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (some extra for topping too), grated
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce, I used Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 2 TBS unsalted butter, melted
- Salt & pepper
- Green onions, thinly slided
- Ground pepper
Build the Casserole
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and combine the first 10 ingredient in a large mix bowl.
Mix together completely.
Add to a large casserole dish.
Top with your cornflake topper.
Bake for 45 minutes at 350.
Serve warm, enjoy and cheers!
- A Hash Brown Casserole can be created to your liking and tastes, go wild!
- If you prefer the classic flavors, remove the Worcestershire Sauce and hot sauce.
- If you like the heat, add more hot sauce, green chilies or a fresh spicy pepper, e.g. jalapeno.
- If you want more of meal, add bacon & sausage for breakfast/brunch or cocktail weenies for dinner!
- You can add various toppers:
- Cornflake topping, like I did for added crunch and texture
- Breadcrumbs or panko, again for added texture
- Extra cheese because why not 😋
- Or garnishes
- Green onions for added brightness
- Parsley for added freshness
- Fresh ground pepper for added spice
- Make sure you defrost your potatoes before mixing the ingredients together. Either defrost in your refrigerator over night or place on the counter top for a few hours before mixing together.
- Grate your own cheese when you're able because it always makes a difference with flavor. .
- This dish can easily be made ahead of time and baked or warmed when the time is right.
- A hash brown casserole makes for incredible leftovers.