Chicken Lo Mein
This recipe is better than any takeout Chicken Lo Mein. It is full of umami, has texture from the fresh veggies, a bit of zip and it is super easy to make!
I went to Fiddlehead Farms Marketplace yesterday to pick up our salmon for Sunday meal and in the seafood fridge, I noticed some fresh lo mein noodles and I was immediately inspired to create my own delicious Lo Mein.
Lo Mein is one of those dishes where you can use any veggies you want; bok choy, carrot, broccoli, snow peas, white onions, green onions, red pepper, cabbage, the list could go on and on. I decided to use carrot, green onions, cabbage and oyster mushrooms. You could also use any protein; tofu, chicken, beef, shrimp, etc. Tonight, I’m opting for chicken!
I begin by marinating my chicken using the recipe below. You could use chicken thighs or breast. I suggest you allow this to marinade for 5-6hrs, if not overnight.
- 1/2 inch of ginger, smashed and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 2TBS of soy sauce
Now time to chop those veggies. I like to use a thin slice, so they keep some texture and bite.
- 1lb of chicken, sliced into bite size strips
- 1TBS of coconut oil
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 4 oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2TBS of oyster sauce
- 1tbs of Sriracha
- 1TBS of water
- Couple dashes of fish oil, optional
- 8oz of Lo Mein noodles, cooked as directed
1. Warm a wok or non-stick pan. Once warm, add your coconut oil. Add your chicken bites to the warm pan and cook until cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside, reserving the fond and coconut oil.
2. Now add veggies to the fond bits and coconut oil and cook slightly, ~3-5 minutes.
3. Add your cooked lo mein noodles, oyster sauce, Sriracha and water to the the veggies and toss together.
4. Now add your cooked chicken and toss again. Add your fish oil, if desired. If your noodles are looking dry, add a TBS or two of water or a dash of two of extra soy sauce.
5. Serve warm and enjoy, cheers.