Plant-Based Crispy Southwest Tacos
Hello 👋 friends, long time no see 👀 (well at least on my website 😉). These days, I have been spending my time and sharing my love for food and drink on Instagram because that seems to be the trend these days, so don’t forget to follow me @jackieseatstreats for all my latest eats and treats!!!
Onto the recipe and the inspiration for my tasty Plant-Based Crispy Southwest Tacos…
Taco Tuesday is very popular in my kitchen, between my Carnitas, Chorizo Potato Tacos, and Beef/Chicken/Turkey Tacos with my scratch Taco Seasoning. Today I’m sharing that mix again because Plant-Based Crispy Southwest Tacos are dynamite and worthy of documenting here!!!
These tacos were inspired by Hello Fresh because we occasionally have a box delivered and Beef Flautas are a favorite here. With bold flavors like southwest seasoning and cheesy goodness, why not opt for a meat substitute and that’s exactly what we did and trust me you do not miss the meat.
Yup, that was Dave saying yum, so I’d call this dish a win since he’s definitely a meat and potato guy 😉!!!
I hope you give these a try because they’re delicious, easy peasy, and can be ready in under 30 minutes which makes for a great mid-week meal!!!
Plant-Based Southwest Crispy Tacos
- 1 drizzle EVOO
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP water, might need more if your plant-based substitute dries out
- 1 lb plant-based protein, I used Meatless Farm Plant Based Ground
- 2 TBSP southwest seasoning, see recipe below
- salt, for seasoning
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime, zest and juiced
- 1 TBSP sour cream
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 8-10 soft flour street tortillas
- ½ cup Mexican cheese blend
- pico de gallo
- In a nonstick pan, warm a drizzle of EVOO on low heat. Once the pan is warmed, add the onions and saute with a bit of salt. Once translucent, add tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water to the onions and tomato paste and stir together.
- Add the plant-based protein and the southwest seasoning. Break up the plant-based protein and cook until it is warmed completely or the taco protein is looking tasty 😋. Set aside and keep warm.
Finishing the Tacos
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place 6 (for two) or 10-12 (for a family of 4) tortillas on the parchment paper. Add cheese to each tortilla.
- Fold the tortillas and bake until crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Finish with the avocado cream, cilantro and pico de gallo and enjoy, cheers!
Southwest Seasoning 👇
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP paprika
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- Mix all seasonings together and store in a spice bottle.
Maybe some Plant-Based Nachos
Other Taco Recipes
Taco Al Pastor – Thinly sliced pieces of marinated pork that make for incredible tacos.
Beef Tacos – Throwback to childhood!
Korean Short Rib Tacos with Apple Kimchi Slaw – Korean short rib, need I say more!!!
Chorizo Potato Tacos – If I had to pick a favorite and easy taco to make, these would be it!!!
Birra Tacos – All the craze right now and boy are these tasty 😋
Carnitas – Savory Mexican pulled pork street tacos that melt in your mouth!!!