This pasta is so creamy and delicious, thank you so much Feel Good Foodie for the inspiration. What pulled me into this dish was Yumna’s video that visually displayed the deliciousness of the recipe. I tried this last week after seeing the video and it’s super to make and has a creamy Mediterranean flavor. This pasta is also vegetarian and perfect for Meatless Monday. I modified the Feel Good Foodie’s Hummus Pasta Recipe with a dash of white wine and a bit more spinach that I add before serving.
I love 15 minutes and this pasta falls into that category, along with my Sweet & Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps, my Homemade Pesto with blistered tomatoes and my Asian Pork Stir Fry. Fifteen minute meals are perfect for busy homechefs. I also love when you can create a delicious dish with a few ingredients, this dish just has, pasta, hummus, lemon, spinach and garlic, but boy the flavor 😋
The secret of the creamy sauce is a cooking down the onions and garlic and then deglazing the pan with a splash of white wine. Deglazing the pan ensures all that charred onion goodness develops into flavor. I then add the hummus and slowly add pasta water until a creamy sauce is developed. Pasta water is great for thickening a sauce and bringing your flavors together. If you’re not using your pasta water to finish your pasta sauces, I strongly encourage you to start.
I hope you enjoy this delicious Mediterranean pasta ❤
- 1 Pound Spaghetti or Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- A splash of white wine
- 1 container of hummus
- You could use plain or lemon
- 1 cup of your salted pasta water
- 2 cups of spinach
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- Reserve some zest for garnishing, if you desire
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1. Begin by preparing your ingredients and preparing your pasta as directed.
2. Now warm some EVO in a nonstick pan on medium heat. Add your onions to the EVO and allow them to sweat for ~5 minutes.
3. Once the onions have some char and are translucent, add your garlic and salt & pepper, as desired.
4. Now deglaze your pan with a splash of white wine.
5. Add your hummus and about 1/2 of pasta water to the pan and begin to build your creamy sauce. Add more pasta water to create the creaminess you desire.
6. Once your sauce is at the desired thickness, add your pasta and combine with the sauce.
7. Now add your spinach, lemon juice, lemon zest (don’t forget to reserve some zest for garnishing) and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Combine your ingredients within the pan.
8. Serve warm and garnish with lemon zest and/or a few more crushed red pepper flakes.
9. Enjoy and cheers 🥂