This soup is delicious and healthy if you’re kicking the new year off watching your waistline and/or eating healthier, keep reading…
This dish was inspired by leftover roast chicken (that needed to be used), stock made from the chicken bones and Matty Matheson. I’m a fan of Matty Matheson and his new collection of cooking videos, Just a Dash, are hysterical and inspiring because he cooks with passion and he speaks to me as a home chef because I’m always looking to create food that I enjoy eating. In early December, he featured the World’s Greatest Chicken Soup, Pozole Verde de Pollo.
While Matty’s dish looked AMAZING, this dish is only inspired by the video. Instead of searing my chicken and building flavor with the chicken fond, I’m using the leftover roast chicken I have. This chicken is packed with delicious flavor, check out my roast chicken recipe here, and will be just as tasty as, as the seared chicken. Two, I have fresh chicken stock (check out my Instant Pot Chicken Stock recipe here), so I figured I would take the greatness from his video, i.e. sofrito and chicken, and create some soup magic on this cold and snowy New England night and this dish definitely delivered!
My sofrito is built with roasted tomatillos, poblano and italian peppers and then I add onion, garlic, cilantro and lime; hence the ‘verde.’ You have no idea how yummy 😋 this sofrito is and it’s reminiscent to my Salsa Verde, boy do I love the brightness of these ingredients.
Boy am I ready for this soup and I promise, I’ll get Pozole Verde de Pollo posted in the future! BTW – If you’ve made Pozole Verde de Pollo, please share your recipe 🙏. Have a fantastic weekend and cheers 🍻
Verde Chicken Soup
- 10 tomatillos, outer layer removed and sliced in half and roasted
- 2 poblano peppers, roughly chopped and roasted
- 2 Italian peppers, roughly chopped and roasted
- 1 dizzle EVOO
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloveds garlic
- ½ lime, juice
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 cups chicken stock, you'll find my Instant Pot Chicken Stock here
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
- Jalapeno Slices
- Lime Wedges
- Chopped White Onion
- Sliced Avocado
- Add the tomatillos and peppers to a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO, salt & pepper. Roat the tomatillos and peppers at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until the tomatillo skins are golden brown.
- Add your tomatillos, peppers and all the cooking juices to large saucepan and blend together with an immersion blender.
- Now add your onion, garlic, lime and cilantro to the saucepan and blend together. Simmer the sofrito ingredients on low together for ~10 minutes with a pinch of salt and ground pepper.
- Once the sofrito is aromatic, add your chicken stock and the cooked chicken, see notes about using fresh chicken.
- Cover the saucepan and continue cooking on low for 35 – 45 minutes.
- Once the soup is done, taste and add more salt & ground pepper, if needed. Serve warm, with your favorite garnishes and cheers 🍻.
- The 35 minutes of prep is roasting your tomatillos and peppers.
- If you’d prefer, use fresh chicken and sear the chicken for a few minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and build your sofrito in the same pan. Add the chicken back to the pan once the chicken stock is added and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, i.e. 1 hour.
- If you’d prefer, blend together in a blender or food processor versus using an immersion blender.
- This soup is even better the next day as leftovers.