Korean BBQ Steak Tips
If you haven’t had Korean BBQ Steak Tips, you are missing out. This is my favorite style of steak tip and since we haven’t visited David’s golf club yet this summer for their tasty version of these tips, check out my review of The Oaks Grille & Deck , I needed my fix.
I was also inspired to create these because a good friend used my Korean Short Rib Ragu recipe last year for steak tips and wasn’t happy with the spicy level. I will caution you, if you don’t like spice, do not use the gochujang 😉. Gochujang or Korean Chili Flakes add heat to the dish, which is the traditional way to make Korean BBQ, but that’s the great thing about Korean BBQ, you can have it sweet or with heat. Regardless of your preference, these tips are perfect and we sampled them both ways, so tasted and approved 👍.
I hope you enjoy and cheers 🍻.
- With or Without Heat – As mentioned above, the great thing about Korean BBQ marinade is that you can make it sweet or spicy. If you’re feeding a crowd or have sensitive palates in your household, I would go safe and remove the gochujang. However, gochujang does make this dish in my opinion and is the traditional way to make Korean BBQ. Yes, gochujang adds heat (depending on brand), it also adds smokeness and depths of flavor to the marinade in my opinion. The brand I like to use is straight from Korean, CJ Haechandle Gochujang Hot Pepper Paste, and I would strongly suggest this brand. If you really like heat, add some Korean Pepper Flakes because while the gochujang added some heat, it could have handled a tsp of the flakes to take it to the next spice level. If you’d like to serve tips both ways, mix half of the marinade without the gochujang and combine 1/2 TBSP of gochujang (you could taste and see if you want to add more gochujang or Korean Pepper Flakes for added heat) to the remaining marinade for the spicy Korean BBQ tips.
- Marinating – I always marinade overnight because that gives you the best result. Two, marinating allows you to tenderize the meat, so again overnight for a day or two is best. Throughout the marinating process, I would massage your steak tips every few hours too!
- Traditional Korean BBQ/Bulgogi Beef – While these tips are called Korean BBQ Steak Tips, traditional Korean BBQ or Bulgogi Beef is thinly sliced meat, which is fried. This recipe is designed for grilling with the same flavors and is a great preparation for steak tips. If you like a sweet and savory marinade, these tips are for you ❤️.
- Serving Suggestion – Check out my Apple Kimchi Slaw for a great side with these tips.
- Leftover Ideas – Got leftovers, never fear, I’ve got you covered with Steak & Cheese Pizza or Korean Tacos with Apple Kimchi Slaw.
Korean BBQ Steak Tips
- 1½ lbs steak tips, sirloin
- ¼ cup apple sauce or grated pear
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 TBSP light brown sugar
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 TBSP ginger, grated
- 1 TBSP gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), optional if you want Spicy Korean BBQ
For Finishing the Tips
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped Green Onions
Marinating the Steak Tips
- In a mixing bowl add all the marinade ingredients. Note: If you want half sweet and half spicy savory, remove ¼ cup of the marinade and set aside. Now add gochujang and/or Korean Pepper Flakes to the remaining marinade for you spicy savory marinade.
- Add the steak tips to a storage bag or container and add the marinade. Massage the steak tips with the marinade.
- Marinade in the refrigerator for 3-4hrs, preferably overnight for a day or two. Continue to massage the steak tips with the marinade.
- Grill the steak tips to your desired temperature, enjoy and cheers 🍻.