Meatloaf with Bacon Mushroom Gravy
Hey Ma! Can we get some meatloaf? Talk about some Will Ferrell nostalgia 🤣!!!
It’s beginning to feel like fall in New England with the leaves and temperatures falling and what’s better than some comfort meatloaf. This meatloaf takes Ma’s meatloaf to a whole new level with BBQ sauce and bacon mushroom gravy 😋, that’s right, bacon mushroom gravy which ups the meaty deliciousness!!!
I got meatloaf in my head after yet another Matty Matheson video, Meatloaf Town – It’s Suppertime. If you’ve been following me, you know I love Matty Matheson and he has inspired quite a few dishes at Jackie’s Eats & Treats because he makes delicious food!!!
Verde Chicken Soup – A bright soup with some pizzazz!!!
Chorizo Lasagne – A spicy version of the classic lasagne dish!
Italian Beef Sandwich – A simple and tasty Chicago Beef Steak!
Tonight’s Matty feature is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and bacon mushroom gravy! I followed his recipe for the most part, but instead of ketchup I used BBQ sauce and added white wine to the gravy because I wanted that added brightness to the gravy. This combination is AMAZING 😋 and you need this recipe in your fall repertoire!!!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please share your feedback if you try this version of meatloaf, cheers 🍻!
- Type of Ground Beef for Meatloaf – I’d aim for 80/20 because you need the fat to create a juicy meatloaf.
- Achieving a Solid Meatloaf – You need to remove all the air pockets, plain and simple. I did not do this and my slices were not uniformed, as a result.
- Building the Gravy – The recipe requires a roux to create a thick gravy. You want to aim for 2 TBSP of fat and flour to create that roux. If you fry your bacon and you don’t have much bacon grease, add a touch of butter. As I mentioned above, I have white wine in my recipe. If you’d rather go without the alcohol, just replace the wine with more beef stock. I used Maggi sauce which has a more deep umami flavor. However, soy sauce is a good substitute. I did not need salt in my gravy because of the Maggi sauce, but you might need a touch depending on the soy sauce you use.
- Serving Suggestions with Meatloaf – You need the mashed potatoes for sure!!! Those fluffy creamy potatoes are also perfect with the Bacon Mushroom Gravy. Steamed broccoli, brussel sprouts or green beans would be great. We went with a fresh salsa corn salad, which added more brightness to the dish.
- The Meatloaf Sandwich – If you have leftover meatloaf, lucky you because the Meatloaf sandwich is equally AMAZING 😋!!! It can be cold with ketchup on fresh white bread or a warm cheesy panini, below is a shot from our lunch meatloaf sando which included american cheese, mayo and a bit of the leftover gravy and it was ABSOLUTELY DELISH!!!
Meatloaf & Bacon Mushroom Gravy
- 2 lbs ground beef. 80/20
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, plus extra for buttering the loaf pan
- 1 TBSP EVOO
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic smashed & chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce, check out my BBQ Sauce recipe in my Smoked Pork post
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP fresh parsley
- ½ TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- ½ TBSP salt
- ½ TBSP fresh ground pepper
Bacon Mushroom Gravy
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ¼ pieces
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 6 baby bella mushrooms,
- 1 TBSP Maggi sauce or soy sauce
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm a fry pan on medium heat. Add the butter and EVOO and allow the butter to melt and add the onions and saute until translucent. Once translucent, add the garlic and continue to saute until golden brown, being careful not to burn your garlic.
- Add the ground beef to a large mixing bowl with the sauteed onions and garlic and the remaining meatloaf ingredients.
- Mix until well combined.
- Prepare a loaf pan by buttering the pan. Add parchment paper for easy removal of the meatloaf, but cutting the corners for a snug fit.
- Add the meatloaf mixture to the loaf pan and be careful to remove any air pockets by firmly adding the mixture to the pan.
- Once the meatloaf mixture has been added to the pan, slam the loaf pan a few times to remove remaining air pockets. Using a spatula, smooth out the meatloaf.
- If you're feeling fancy, add a design to the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1hr at 375 degrees. Once cooked, remove from the oven and loaf pan and allow the meatloaf to set for 10-15 minutes on a meat safe cutting board.
Bacon Mushroom Gravy
- In a cold medium saucepan add the bacon slices. Turn the burn to medium-high heat and fry the bacon until nice and crispy. Once crispy, remove from the bacon grease with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined dish to catch the remaining bacon grease, set aside. Make sure to reserve the bacon grease in your saucepan.
- Add the shallots to the bacon grease and cook on medium until translucent. Once translucent, add the flour to create a roux for the gravy. Cook the roux for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until well combined, cooking for another 3-5 minutes.
- Now add the beef stock, mushrooms, reserved bacon and Maggi or soy sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes or until nice and thick. Taste the gravy and adjust the flavor with salt or ground pepper, if needed.
- Slice the meatloaf to your desired thickness.
- Serve warm with the Bacon Mushroom Gravy, enjoy and cheers!
2 thoughts on “Meatloaf with Bacon Mushroom Gravy”