Roasted Tomato Soup
It’s tomato season and I wanted to share my roasted tomato soup with you in case you also have an abundance of garden fresh tomatoes 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅, like me.
Tomato soup is one of those simple classics. In fact, one of the first posts I shared on this site featured tomato soup, Jalapeno Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup. The recipe I’m sharing here is my go-to when I have my own garden tomatoes or lots of tomatoes that need to be used.
Enjoy this comfort classic and feel free to share your tips and tricks to great delicious tomato soup in the comments below, cheers 🥂.
- Tomato Goodness – While the recipe calls for roma tomatoes, I actually used three different types of tomatoes because I had a bunch of roma, beefsteak and lemon roma that ripened at the same time. Feel free to use what you have on hand and adjust the flavoring, as needed (see below).
- Prepping Ahead of Time – I roasted the tomatoes, onions and garlic two days before preparing this soup, which made for an easy midweek meal. Once the tomatoes, onions and garlic cooled, I added them to a storage container and placed them in the fridge until I was ready to make the soup.
- Enhancing the Flavor – Adjusting the flavor in tomato soup or sauce is so easy.
- Sugar cuts the acidity
- Red Wine Vinegar adds sharpness and balance
- Worcestershire and Fish sauce delivers umami
- Red Pepper Flakes packs the heat
- Roasting Fond, aka brown bits from roasting the tomatoes, don’t forget to scrape the char from your lined baking sheet because that’s liquid gold. Those brown bits and juices adds char goodness to the soup or sauce. Speaking of tomato sauce, don’t forget to visit my Italian Gravy post.
- Side Suggestions
- Cheddar Jalapeno No Knead – This is one my favorite accompaniments with tomato soup, I mean Cheddar Jalapeno is perfect!
- Bacon Cheddar Chive Scones – Soup and a scone is a match made heaven. These scones are deliciously savory and ideal for tomato soup.
- Cheesy Garlic Bread (recipe coming soon) – This bread was prepared with my Roasted Tomato Soup and boy was it dreamy and the perfect dipper, so creamy, garlicky and delish!
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 sweet white onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and skins removed
- salt & ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch basil, reserve a few leaves for garnishing
- 1 punch sugar, as desired to cut the acidity
- 1 splash red wine vinegar, as desired to sharpen or balance the flavor
- 1 splash Worcestershire sauce, as desired to deliver umami
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, as desired to pack the heat
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and toss the tomatoes, onions and garlic in EVOO, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and aromatics to a parchment lined or silicone lined baking sheet.
- Roast at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened and the onions have charred.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and aromatics to a large saucepan with the chicken stock and basil and let simmer on medium for 10-15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce to your desired consistency. Allow the sauce to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Taste the soup before serving and adjust the flavoring as needed. Serve warm with great bread, enjoy & cheers 🥂!