Salsa Verde Pulled Pork Enchiladas
This is a winner for sure and one you need to hold onto because it’s super easy to make; and it’s enchiladas stuffed with pulled pork and red onion, smothered with green chiles and salsa verde 😋 Please do not be intimidated by the red onion, green chiles or salsa verde because this dish offers freshness and you’re able to control the heat and creaminess👌
This is one of our go-to dishes when I have my own garden fresh Salsa Verde or when I have leftover pork or chicken. If I don’t have my own Salsa Verde, Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde is always in my pantry. I also love Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Dices Green Chiles in my pork enchiladas. For freshness, I serve my enchiladas with a yummy Pico de Gallo and/or my crowd-pleasing Guacamole, which you’ll find in my Birthday Mexican Fiesta post and cilantro for garnishing.
I remember this dish from my childhood and I was originally introduced to the dish from my Aunt Jayne. My aunt created the dish with chicken, which you can certainly do instead of pork. She also used Cream of Chicken Campbell Soup, but I often omit that ingredient because I usually prefer the freshness provided by the salsa verde and cilantro.
Again, it is a super easy dish to create and I find it take no more than ~10-15 minutes to prepare and about ~40 minutes to bake. My recipe below makes four enchiladas; enough for a family of four or leftovers for a couple. You could also easily double this recipe 👍
- Olive oil or butter for greasing the casserole dish
- 12 oz of Salsa Verde
- Create your own Salsa Verde, using my recipe, or opt for Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde.
- Note: If I have leftover hollandaise sauce, I’ve been known to add that extra creamines 😋 You could also add Cream of Chicken Campbell Soup, if desired.
- 1 can of Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Dices Green Chiles
- This is my preference, but feel free to use any brand of green chiles.
- 1TBS of Sriracha, if desired
- 4 flour or corn soft taco or fajita size tortillas
- I usually use flour because it’s my preference!
- 4 slices of Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese
- You can use what you have, this is my preference!
- 1 cup of cooked pulled pork
- Again, you could use chicken leftovers, if you prefer.
- 1/4 of red onion, thinly sliced
- This ingredient can be omitted if you’re not a fan.
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- For my Pico de Gallo
- 1 Roma Tomato, deseeded and chopped into fine bites
- 1 bunch of cilantro, thick stems removed and chopped
- I like to hold onto some of the cilantro for garnishing ❤
- 3TBS of red onion, diced finely
- You’ll likely have some thin slices remaining from the red onion you used from the above ingredient.
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Begin by greasing a small casserole dish and turning your oven 375 degrees.
2. Now grab a mixing bowl and create the salsa verde mixture of salsa verde, green chiles, Sriracha and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into your casserole dish.
4.. Lay your flour tortillas on a prep surface and begin to build the enchiladas in the following order; cheese slice, pulled pork and red onion slices.
5. Wrap the tortillas into tight enchilada rolls and place on top of the the salsa verde mixture in your casserole dish.
6. Add your remaining salsa verde mixture to the top of the enchiladas.
7. Now add cheese to the top of your enchiladas.
8. Bake for ~40 minutes or until 165 degrees in the center.
9. While the enchiladas are baking, create the Pico de Gallo with the ingredients above.
10. Once removed from the oven, allow to cool for ~10 minutes to firm up.
11. Serve with my Pico de Gallo and/or my Guacamole, you’ll find this recipe in my Mexican Birthday Fiesta post. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy, cheers 🍻
3 thoughts on “Salsa Verde Pulled Pork Enchiladas”