Oh man, was this dish OUTSTANDING!
This dish was inspired by Jet Tila’s Quarantine Collective – Thai Curry and BBQ Chicken with Limited Ingredients video posted on March 30, 2020. Jet made this curry in 20 minutes with a few simple ingredients and I thought, hey I can handle that dish since I’ve got red curry paste, fish sauce, frozen chicken thighs and broccoli, carrots and cilantro. During the video he talked about how far red curry paste went with flavor because it’s loaded with deliciousness like, red chili peppers, garlic, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric, coriander and cumin. I love red curry dishes, like my Red Curry Lentils because to Jet’s point, they’re absolutely packed with delicious flavor.
During times like these, you need easy dishes that pack flavor and this dish delivered just that! Two, you could use any veggies or herbs you have on hand. In fact, I even used frozen broccoli 🥦!
Make sure you watch Jet’s video, Thai Curry with Limited Ingredients, because he’ll walk you through the creation of this dish and he’s quite entertaining!
I hope you enjoy and cheers 🥂!
- DO NOT SHAKE your can of coconut, per Jet. The reason you don’t is because you’ll use the cream that settles at the top of the can to create your curry paste.
- You’ll only use 3/4 of the coconut milk. I used my remaining coconut milk to finish my Curried Lentils.
- Red curry paste is packed with flavor, which is the reason this recipe has very few ingredients. If you have green curry paste on hand, that will do as well!
- This curry is cooked on medium to high heat because you want the curry to reduce and become thick.
- This curry is enough for two people with leftovers.
- Again, any veggies will do. You’ll want to consider your cuts on the veggies because you want to keep some texture and bite, but you want them under or over cooked. Here’s some suggestions:
- Green onion
- String beans
- Snow peas
- Bok choy
- As Jet suggested, I would steam your veggies because that lock in the color during the cooking process. Two it helps to start the cooking process.
- For herbs, you could use basil, Thai basil or cilantro. However, if you don’t have any herbs, never fear because the red curry flavor will be just as delicious without.
- If you don’t have fish sauce, again never fear!
Thai Chicken Curry
- 2 boneless chicken thighs, sliced into thin stripes
- 2 cups mixed veggies I used frozen broccoli and fresh carrots
- 4 TBS red curry paste
- ¾ can coconut milk, DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN
- Fish Sauce
- 1 small handful cilantro, leaves and stems
- Sea Salt
- Warm a large nonstick pan on medium high heat. Once the pan is warm, add 2 tablespoons of the coconut cream from the top of the unshaken can. Once the cream starts to bubble, add the red curry paste. Cook until thick and well combined. Note: You want a peanut butter consistency for your red curry paste.
- Now add most of the can of coconut milk to the paste and cook on a medium high heat to allow the curry to thicken and reduce. Once the curry has reduced, add some fish sauce and the chicken and cook for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your prepared veggies to a microwave safe bowl with a bit of water and steam in the microwave for 45 seconds. Once you remove the bowl, discard the steaming water.
- Once the chicken begins to turn white, add the steamed veggies and cilantro.
- Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and you have a thick curry. Taste the curry and see if you need salt or additional fish sauce.
- Serve warm with rice, enjoy and cheers 🥂!