Sausage stuffed in puff pastry, yes please! These bullets of deliciousness are INCREDIBLE and so incredibly EASY to create!
Look at those layers of crispy puff pastry!!!
I recently got intrigued by the traditional British Sausage Roll and I thought, hey I’ve got mild sausage and puff pastry in the freezer, why not give it a try! Boy have we been missing out because these rolls are AMAZING ❤️ and the perfect self-isolation comfort food!
First, I simply added caramelized onions, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, fennel seed, 1 egg, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper to mild sausage and combined.
I then created sausage logs and placed those on the rolled out puff pastry.
Once I sealed the rolls, I baked to perfection and boy were they delicious 😋!
I mean it can’t get any easier and shamefully, after they came out of the oven, I couldn’t resist and I was able to polish off three before my husband returned from a walk with our dog 😉.
I hope you enjoy and cheers 🍻!
- I added breadcrumbs to the sausage because I knew it would help absorb the sausage fat as it cooked out. You could omit that ingredient if you’re watching carbs, although I wouldn’t 😉.
- I used mild sausage links and added my own spices. However, if want to make this recipe even easier, use mild or hot sausage without adding any additional spice. If you’re using sausage links, remove the ground sausage from the casing.
- Make sure you puncture a hole in each roll. This allows the heat to escape during the baking process.
- I topped my sausage rolls with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, but if you don’t have that, simply add sea salt flakes, poppy seeds or fennel seeds.
- These rolls are best served fresh from the oven. I would suggest waiting 20 minutes, to allow them to cool, two, you don’t want to burn your mouth 👍!
- If you have remaining rolls, place them in a plastic bag or storage container and place in the fridge. They should last a few days and I’d suggest warming them in your toaster oven to bring them back to life.
- These rolls are a perfect weekend brunch treat or delicious with a cold beer 🍻!
- Homemade mustard also makes the perfect dipper!
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1.5 lbs ground sausage
- 1 medium sized onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed & chopped
- ⅓ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp fennel seed, finely chopped
- 1 TBS breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Bit of sea salt & ground pepper
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees and caramelizing the diced onion in EVOO. Once caramelized, add the chopped garlic and saute quickly because you don't want to burn the garlic.
- Meanwhile add your sausage to a mixing bowl with the paprika, cayenne pepper and fennel seed. Once the onions and garlic are ready, add those and mix until well combined. Now add 1 egg and continue to mix together.
- Add a pinch of salt & ground pepper with the breadcrumbs and combine together.
- Flour a working surface and roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut 3 even sections, once rolled out.
- Now form logs with the sausage and add to the center of each puff pastry section. Mix the second egg and egg wash the rims of the puff pastry for easy sealing.
- Seal the sausage logs and cut into ~2inch pieces. Arrange on a silicon or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Once arranged, egg wash the rolls and puncture a hole in each roll to allow the heat to escape. Add Everything But The Bagel seasoning to the top of each roll and bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before diving in.
- Enjoy and cheers 🍻!