Tom Kha Gai (aka Thai Chicken Coconut Soup) has it’s orgins in Thailand and this home chef LOVES finding inspiration from other countries. As you may know already, I love food and cooking programs and this dish has been featured on multiple programs highlighting amazing Thai food. What I love about Thai food is the way it hits the five basic tastes; sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami (savory); and this dish is no exception.
According to wiki, tom kha kai recipes typically include coconut milk, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, Thai chili peppers, coriander (or dill weed), straw mushrooms (or shiitake or other mushrooms), chicken, fish sauce, and lime juice. My version uses many of the ingredients above, but I kick it up with red curry paste and boy does that take this dish to the next level adding heat.
This dish has it all; sweet, tangy, spicy, umami and so much brightness 👍 I hope you enjoy!
Tom Kha Gai
This creates about 4 servings.
- 1tsp of coconut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chop
- 1/2 inch if galangal or ginger, chop
- 1 lemongrass stalk, remove the outer hard layers and chop
- 4 onions, sliced separating the whites and greens
- 1TBS of red curry paste
- 3 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of cooked chicken, cut in cubes or shredded
- 6 mushrooms, chop
- 1tsp of fish sauce
- 1 lime, cut in half and with other half cut into wedges
1. Prepare the garlic, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and green onions.
2. In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, the whites from the green onions and red curry paste. Stir allowing those aromatics to come alive stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock or broth and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
4. Now prepare your remaining ingredients.
5. Strain the stock removing the aromatics and return the stock to the stove.
6. Add in coconut milk, chicken and mushrooms. Simmer until the mushrooms get a bit of color, ~15 minutes.
7. Then add the fish sauce and 1/2 of the lime juice, plus more of each to taste and cook for a few more minutes.
8. Serve warm and garnish with the greens from the green onions, sliced jalapenos, fresh cilantro and a slice of lime.