Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Since I have homemade chicken stock and we had more snow ❄️, it’s time for delicious chicken noodle soup. But this isn’t your standard cold and winter classic, this is kicked up with some great spice and cream 😋
I consider this a simple crock pot meal! Cut up some fresh vegetables. I’m using scallots (because I don’t have any onion), carrots, celery and mushrooms. The mushrooms are key to building flavor and umaminess to this soup.
Add your vegetables to the crock pot with chicken stock, sumac, poultry seasoning and salt and cook on high for 3-4 hrs or low for 6-7hrs, easy peasy.
Sumac is one of my new favorite spices. It’s a spice commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking and has hints of lemon brightness. I love lemon notes in chicken noodle soup and this spice works well for that.
At the 3-4hr or 6-7hr mark, add your cooked chicken (shredded or diced) and the noodles and cook for another 11-13 minutes.
Once the noodles are done, taste the soup and season as needed with salt and pepper. Before serving add a touch of half and half, milk or cream & enjoy.
What’s your favorite soup on a cold, snowy day?
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe creates enough soup for 3 servings.
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/3 bag of egg noodles (i.e. 4 oz dry), I used wide egg noodles
- 1 cup of cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 4 cups fresh vegetables, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2tbs of sumac
- 1tbs of poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 1/2 of a cup of half and half
Note – I have scratch made chicken stock with great natural flavoring already. If you’re using store bought stock or broth, you might need additional seasoning such as garlic, thyme and maybe even some additional poultry seasoning.
- Prepare your ingredients.
- With the exception of the cooked chicken, noodles and cream, add all ingredients to your crock pot with a bit of salt. If you don’t have cooked chicken, add your raw chicken at this point.
- Set the crock pot to high and cook for 3-4hrs or 6-7hrs on low. You’ll know the soup is ready based on the carrots. However, if you’ve added raw chicken, ensure your chicken is cooked. Once the chicken has cooked, remove from the crock pot and shred or dice and return to the pot.
- Once the vegetables are done to your liking, add your noodles and the cooked chicken. Make sure your soup is hot enough to cook the noodles. If it is, cook for 11-13 minutes. Test the noodles at the 11 minute mark.
- Now time for the cream. Temper by introducing some of the stock of the half and half, milk or cream before adding it to the soup. Tempering prevents the cream from breaking.
- Serve warm and garnish with celery leaves and parsley. These garnishes add great brightness 👍
Looking for more soup recipes, check out a few of my favorites below…
- Verde Chicken Soup – So bright and delicious!
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Coconut Soup – This soup has AMAZING flavor and you don’t want to miss out on it!
- Corn & Leek Bisque – A summer ☀️ treat when corn is in season!
- Vietnamese Beef Pho – I am an absolute sucker for a Vietnamese Pho and this Instant Pot Beef Pho, brings that yumminess right to your kitchen!
4 thoughts on “Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup”