Today’s recipe is inspired by two things: 1) Mark Wiens’ video – Meet the Kebab Kings of Iran and 2) heading to my recipe books after watching that video because we love Radhika’s Kebab Sausage recipe! This recipe is from the Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook and Radhika nailed a signature hotdog in this Quickfire challenge!
For the sausages, I want with ground beef, garam masala, garlic, ginger and red onion. I added lemon to her tomato jam recipe because I like lemon notes with a kebab! Since her recipe features a pickled cucumber salad and I didn’t have any cucumbers due to self-isolation, I decided I would pickle some red onions and that extra pickle punch added great balance to the Kebab. I also served my sausage with tomato slices and cilantro and boy was it delicious!
Guys this sausage is AMAZING and worth a try! I wanted to share this recipe because you might have the ingredients right in your pantry and freezer during self-isolation. Typically I make these sausages as Radhika suggests with lamb, pork and ground beef, but since I wanted to go with what I had on hand, I only used ground beef and it was just as fabolous! Note: Radhika’s recipe suggests 1 part lamb to 1/2 pork and ground beef.
Regardless of following Radhika’s or my recipe, you can guarantee homemade sausages are the absolute best! If you’re looking for another fantastic sausage recipe, check out my Chorizo!
- Again, ground beef works extremely well, but if you’re looking for a more traditional Indian Sausage, go with the lamb, pork and ground beef. The sausage could be combined a few hours before forming into logs, even the night before because this allows the flavors to come together.
- I’d suggest making your tomato jar a few hours before serving because again, this allows the flavors to come together.
- I created the pickled red onions by adding them to a jar of dill pickle brine. What can i say, I like to be resourceful with my delicious pickle brine, two, in time of self-isolation use what you have!
- The tomato jam, pickled red onions, sliced tomatoes and cilantro made this Kebab complete.
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 TBS garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 TBS half & half
- ½ lemon, juice
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
- Pickled red onions
- 1 roma tomato, sliced thinly
- 1 handful cilantro, leaves removed from stem
- Begin by warming your oven to 350 degrees and add the Kebab ingredients to a meat safe mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together completely.
- Grab some BBQ skewers and form the ground sausage into logs.
- Place the sausage in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing and mix until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Warm your pita to make it pliable.
- Add your cooked sausages to the pita and top with the tomato jam, pickled red onions, tomato slices and cilantro. Enjoy and cheers 🍻!