Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Gyro
First day of Spring 🌺🌼🌸🌷, which means bring on the fresh and light meals as we prepare for summer heat☀️!!!
In celebration 🌺🌼🌸🌷, today I’m delivering a tasty Mediterranean Grilled Chicken, which I paired with fresh veggies, tzatziki (check our my Tzatziki recipe here), hummus, fresh dill for an AMAZING Mediterranean Grill Chicken Gyro!
For my chicken, I opted for a quick marinade with sumac spice and boy was it delicious. Sumac comes from the fruit of a bush indigenous to the Middle East and is used in both Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cooking. Sumac is described as a tangy spice with a sour, acidic flavor reminiscent of lemon juice. I paired the sumac with lemon juice and zest, to up the lemon flavor, and I also added olive oil, oregano and garlic, which are staples in Mediterranean cooking. I only marinade the chicken for 2 hours because any marinade with acid essentially cooks/denatures the protein!
Okay, onto the delicious Gyro!
Gyros are a beautiful thing because you can load on the spreads and the veggies making for a wrap of deliciousness 😋! For this Gyro, I included a grilled lavash bread, hummus, Tzatziki (don’t forget to check out my recipe), English cucumbers, tomato, red onion, fresh dill and feta!
I hope you enjoy my Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Gyro, cheers 🥂!
Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
- 1½ lb chicken, I used my preference, chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, zest
- ⅓ lemon, juice
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 tsp sumac
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 TBSP EVOO
- Combine the marinade ingredients together.
- Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and add the chicken to a gallon storage bag.
- Add the marinade to the chicken and combine together.
- Seal the bag and refrigerator for 3-4hrs, massaging every so often.
- When ready to grill, remove from the refrigerator and allow the chill to be removed, ~1/2hr or so.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
One thought on “Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Gyro”