American Chop Suey
American Chop Suey is a comfort food classic for sure, with it’s beefy, tomatoey, elbow macaroni goodness 😋
I remember my mother making Goulash when I was young, which is essentially American Chop Suey and on Mother’s Day; a throwback was necessary. I don’t remember the meal being a favorite when I was young because green peppers were added, but David turned me into a fan in adulthood 👍
This dish is one of his favorites. David loves one pot comfort foods (i.e. Scottish Stovies, Chili) and tonight it’s American Chop Suey. He doesn’t tend to use a recipe for this dish, he just knows he needs ground beef, tomato sauce, onion, Worcestershire sauce and elbow macaroni 😉 Those simple ingredients, making for great comfort food.
American Chop Suey tends to be a New England dish, which is interesting because I grow up in Connecticut and Goulash was how my mother referred to it. In researching this dish, I learned American Goulash tends to be a midwestern and southern dish with pretty identical ingredients. Midwesterns also add extra cheesy goodness and refer to the dish as Chili Mac. It’s also interesting to read about regional uniqueness of dishes! Feel free to call it what you want and if you want extra spice or cheesiness, go crazy 😉.
- 1lb of ground beef
- 16oz package of elbow macaroni
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 chopped onion, David used a sweet white onion
- 1 chopped yellow pepper
- 16oz of crushed tomatoes
- 4-5 chopped mushrooms
- 1/2TBS of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2TBS of Oyster sauce, this sauce will enhance any flavoring in the sauce
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, you could also use cheddar
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
1. Begin by sauteing your garlic, onions and yellow pepper.
2. Once the onions are soft, add your ground beef. Once your beef gets some color, season with salt & pepper.
3. Add your tomato sauce and the fresh mushrooms, to the cooked ground beef. Cook on low heat uncovered for about 30 minutes, the sauce will reduce during this time.
4. Midway through the cooking, boil your macaroni in a large pot. Meanwhile, add Worcestershire sauce , Oyster sauce and a bit more salt and pepper to tomato sauce and stir together.
5. Once your sauce is reduced, you know you’re ready to add your macaroni.
6. Taste the sauce again and see whether you want any additional salt or pepper.
7. Add your macaroni to the sauce and combine together.
8. Add your cheese and combine together.
9. Serve warm with more cheese on top, cheers!
6 thoughts on “American Chop Suey”