Beef Stroganoff is comfort food at its finest ❤ Since fall seems to be upon us and I had leftover flank steak, fresh mini bellas, sour cream and egg noodles; stroganoff seemed like the perfect Sunday meal.
The fall is the perfect time for comfort foods like my Homemade Cheeseburger Helper, Mac & Cheese, Dave’s American Chop Suey, my famous Mushroom Bacon Risotto and Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.
The secret to a great stroganoff is creamy deliciousness. For my cream sauce, I combine sour cream with beef stock, dijon mustard, Worcester sauce and cornstarch. No mushroom soup can or package seasoning here 👍
When creating a stroganoff, you want a cut of meat that will stay tender during the cooking process without drying out and causing overly chewy pieces of meat in your sauce. I would suggest the following:
- Flank steak
- I will be using flank steak that’s been grilled previously.
- Ground beef
I prefer egg noodles with my stroganoff, but you can certainly use:
- Fettuccine, or any other pasta
- Creamy Polenta
I hope you enjoy my spin.
- 1/2 package of egg noodles
- 1lb of beef, I used flank steak
- 2TBS of unsalted butter
- 1lb of mushrooms (I used mini bellas), sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1TBS of dijon mustard
- 1TBS of Worcester sauce
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1TBS of cornstarch
- 1tsp of paprika
- For garnishing
- Chive, this is what I used
1, Begin by preparing your ingredients and cooking your pasta. I would cook the pasta to al dente since it will cook a bit more once you add the noodles to the cream sauce.
2. In a large saute pan, add 1TBS of butter and melt on medium heat. Once melted, add your beef and cook to medium rare. Once the beef is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside. Note: I used previously grilled flank steaks, so I simply cut the flank steak into bite size pieces.
3. In the same saute pan, add the rest of your butter and saute the mushrooms and onion on medium heat. Once the mushrooms and onions start cooking, add some salt & pepper. Allow the mushrooms to release their juices and cook the onions until translucent.
3. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl add your beef stock, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream, cornstarch, paprika and whisk together until smooth.
4. Once the mushrooms have released their juices, add your garlic and saute together.
5. Add our white wine to the mushrooms, onion and garlic. Allow the wine to reduce some.
6. Now add your beef and sour cream mixture to the mushrooms, onions and garlic. Simmer for a few minutes together.
7. Now fold in your pasta.
8. Toss together and garnish with parsley or chives.
9. Enjoy & Cheers!