I remember hamburger helper from my childhood and as I was planning for Sunday night comfort food, that pulled me in! But my version isn’t your processed box hamburger helper, it’s Instant Pot magic ❤️ I love my Instant Pot because you can cook food quickly and the pressure builds incredible flavor and this recipe is no exception.
I started by sauteing the ground beef, onions, garlic and mushrooms. You do this on the Saute function. First brown the meat in some oil. Once the beef has some color add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Let the veggies sweat a bit continuously stirring. Now season with Thyme, Seasoned salt, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce and Louisiana hot sauce. Add tomato paste and deglaze the pot with acid, I used lemon, but you could also use wine. Deglazing a pot allows all flavor drippings to combine with the other ingredients.
Now you add beef broth and dry macaroni. Give the ingredients a stir, cancel Saute function and seal the lid.Cook the macaroni mixture using the Manual function for 5 minutes. Yup, that’s right 5 minutes…the beauty of the Instant Pot 👍
Once the 5 minutes is up, release the pressure manually. Remove the lid and add cheese (I used cheddar jack) to create that comfort magic.
Serve in a bowl topped with green onions and lemon zest (I love finishing dishes with lemon zest because it adds brightness).
Homemade Cheeseburger Helper
- 1 box (16oz) of elbows
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 mushrooms
- 2t of Thyme
- 1t of anchovy paste
- 1T of tomato paste
- 2t of Worcestershire sauce
- Couple dashes of Louisiana hot sauce
- 2t of Seasoned salt
- 1/2 lemon
- Zest from a lemon
- 2 cups of cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute.
- Add oil to the pot.
- Add the ground beef and brown for a few minutes.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms and allow to sweat.
- Season with Thyme, Seasoned salt, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce and Louisiana hot sauce.
- Add tomato paste, combining with the other ingredients.
- Deglaze the pot with lemon.
- Cancel the Saute function.
- Add beef broth and macaroni to the pot.
- Seal the lid.
- Using the Manual function, set for 5 minutes.
- Once the pot beeps, release the pressure manually.
- Remove the lid.
- Add cheese and combine with the other ingredients.
- Garnish with green onions and lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy ❤️
If you’re looking for Instant Pot recipes, here’s few of my favorites:
- Stock Ideas
- Instant Pot Chicken Stock – This recipe makes about 8 cups of stock and is perfect for scratch made soups and cooking risotto, like my Mushroom & Bacon Risotto.
- Vietnamese Beef Pho – This is liquid gold right here and creates a bowl of dreams ❤️!
- Protein Ideas