There is nothing better than scratch made gravy with the roast baking juices.
Whether it’s a turkey or a chicken, you can create AMAZING poultry gravy with a few simple ingredients:
- Butter, see my Garlic & Herb Compound Butter for added pizzazz
- Stock, preferably from the roasting pan
- Lemon Juice
- White Wine
I get it, package gravy is easy and stress free, but if you spend a few extra minutes you have magic, EPIC gravy. All it takes is creating a roux, which is equal parts of flour and butter.
Once you cook off the flour, add your pan juices and/or stock and continue to whisk.
Finally, finish with a splash of lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and white wine. That’s right, that easy! Say goodbye to the envelope and HELLO EPIC GRAVY 😋
If you don’t want the fresh herbs in your gravy, strain the stock or the Garlic & Herb Compound Butter (see my recipe here) after melting it and allowing the garlic and herbs to flavor your butter.
I hope you enjoy and cheers 🥂!
- 3 TBS butter, see my Garlic & Herb Compound Butter for added goodness 😋
- 3 TBS all purpose flour
- 2 cups stock, either the roasting pan juices and/or turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine, I used Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Couple splashes Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt & Pepper, for seasoning
- Begin by melting your butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- This is an optional step if you've used a compound butter, like my Garlic & Herb and want to remove the herbs – Strain the butter once the butter has been flavored and return the butter to the burner.
- Now slowly add your 1TBS at a time. Continue to whisk and cook off the flour, 5-10 minutes.
- Now slowly add your pan juices and/or stock, 1/2 cup at a time, continuing to whisk.
- Add your white wine and cook off the alcohol, 5-10 minutes.
- Finish with the lemon juice and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Give the gravy one final taste and adjust the flavors or salt & pepper, as needed.
- Ladle warm into a gravy boat and serve with your turkey and mashed potatoes.
- Add your stock slowly and in phases until you reach your desired thickness, keeping in mind you’ll be finishing the gravy with white wine.
- Add lemon zest to add extra zing and citrus.
- Don’t forget to visit my Garlic & Herb Compound Butter post.