Salt & Vinegar Chicken Wings
If you’re a fan of salt & vinegar chips, these wings are for YOU!!!
Crispy, salty, tangy and punchy, what more could you ask for in a chicken wing 😉!!!
Plus super easy to make 👍!
Preparing the Chicken Wings – You’ll find a whole chicken wing is made up of 3 parts: the drumette (my favorite), the wingette, and the wing tip. To prepare whole chicken wings, separate the three parts at the joints. I discard the wing tip, since there isn’t much meat on that part. If you’re lucky enough to find broken down wings, lucky you 🍀.
Marinade – Marinade the chicken wings in a gallon bag or mixing bowl. You don’t want to marinate for too long in the apple cider vinegar and I wouldn’t go with more than 2 hours, otherwise the chicken’s texture changes and the vinegar will lose it’s tanginess. Ideally, you marinade for 1 hour while the wings are resting on your countertop to remove the refrigerator chill.
The Dry Mix – This recipe calls for cornstarch, salt & vinegar powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper. The cornstarch helps achieve the crispiness. If you can’t find salt & vinegar powder, I’m sorry 😞. You can find recipes online for creating your own salt & vinegar mix. I would suggest mixing the dry ingredients together before coating the wings. Also make sure you coat the wings completely.
Cooking the Chicken Wings – I prefer baking on a greased wire rack because that achieves crispiness all around. This method is the most successful for me!! I usually add parchment paper underneath the wire rack to help with the cleanup. For this recipe, I baked at 400 degrees for 40 minutes on a greased wire rack. I wasn’t happy with the coloring after 40 minutes, so I placed my oven on high boil for 10 minutes and the wings were juice, crispy and fell off the bone. Of course, if you prefer the air fryer, have at it.
If I’m making chicken wings you can guarantee, mac & cheese is also on the menu. I certainly have you covered here 👍:
Creamy Mac & Cheese – My first post on mac & cheese which is perfection with a combination of cheeses, Worcestershire sauce and a wee bit of Louisiana Hot Sauce!
Super Creamy Mac & Cheese – Another delicious take on mac & cheese with a delicious combo of cheeses, tangy mustard powder and creamy goodness!
Mac & Cheese with Beer Cheese – Beer and chicken wings are the perfect combo, so why not add that beer to the cheese sauce for extra greatness!
Don’t forget I’ve also got you covered for Buffalo Wings!!!
Salt & Vinegar Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings, separate the drumette from the wingette and remove and discard the tip from the wingette
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup salt & vinegar powder
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 400 for 40 minutes, high boiler for 10
- Begin by marinating the chicken wings with the apple cider vinegar for 1 to 2 hours. Massage the wings often.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- To prepare the chicken wings for baking, preheat the oven to 400. Remove the chicken wings from the apple cider vinegar marinade and place on a meat safe cutting board. Discard the remaining marinade and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Once dry, place the chicken wings in a large mixing bowl and top with the dry ingredients. Mix together until the wings are well coated.
- Add the chicken wings to a greased wire rake.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 400 and finish on high boil to achieve extra crispiness.
- Serve warm on their own or with some yummy mac & cheese and/or a garden salad.