Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese is my one favorite brunch treats ❤️, but who am I kidding, this sandwich can be eaten morning, noon and night 😉!
I featured this deliciousness last May in my Summer Week 1 post and I’m excited to bring this to you today because spring is in the air here in New England ❤! A Smoked Salmon Bagel is something AMAZING; I mean that bagel, cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, tomato and capers is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING 😋. However, those capers never want to stay in place, am I right 😉? To combat those flying capers, I add them to my cream cheese, which is the recipe featured in this post.
Guys, this cream cheese is AMAZING and not only includes capers, but also chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt & pepper. This spread takes your standard Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese combo and spins it into more AMAZING magic 😋 and I hope you enjoy, cheers ☕!
- Smoked Salmon vs Lox – Well researching this iconic sandwich, I learned there’s a distinct difference between the two. To put it simply, Smoked Salmon is cured or brined, then smoked and Lox is cured, but not smoked. Whatever you fancy, any cured salmon will do. I’m a fan of Trader Joe’s Nova Scotia Smoked Sockeye Salmon.
- Tomato & Onion – I like a beefsteak tomato because they’re the perfect size for a bagel sandwich, but any large tomato will do. I know some people hate red onion, but in my opinion this is an absolute must on this traditional sandwich.
- Bagel – Toasting the bagel is a must because you don’t want your bagel getting soggy with the ingredients. Some of my preferred bagels for this sandwich include Salt and Everything.
- Creating the Cream Cheese – I would suggest making the cream cheese the day before because this will allow all the ingredients to come together!
- Smoked Salmon Memories – Each time I make this sandwich, I think of a great NYC deli. Boy do I wish we had a great NYC deli because our bagels have a tough time competing 😉.
- Smoked Salmon Leftovers – If you’ve got leftovers, I might suggest a bright dish packed with flavor, like my Smoked Salmon Pasta. If you’re after this recipe, drop me a comment and I’d be happy to share it!
Lemon Caper Cream Cheese Spread
- 12 oz soft spreadable cream cheese
- 1 lemon, juice & zest
- 2 TBS capers, smashed with a folk
- 2 TBS chives, chopped
- Salt & ground pepper
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, if not overnight.
- Smear on a bagel and top with smoked salmon, tomato and red onion. Enjoy & cheers!
- I would suggest making the cream cheese the day before serving because this will allow all the ingredients to come together!