Strawberry Lavender Lemonade Cocktail
This cocktail was inspired by Sonny’s Tavern in Dover, New Hampshire. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but Sonny’s makes the most INCREDIBLE drinks and has AMAZING food and this cocktail bar could easily fit any metropolitan city and we’re lucky to have such a gem in our hometown!
The cocktail I plan to share in this post plays with the same flavors from Sonny’s Modern Love, which has Lavender Infused Vodka, Strawberry and Lemon. When I first had this drink, I was immediately intrigued by the lavender infused vodka and I set out on a hunt to find lavender infused vodka. But let me tell you, it is not easy to find 😉 and once I realized that, I began researching the infusion process and it’s pretty straight forward with dried lavender.
To infuse lavender vodka:
- Simply buy some good quality vodka and add 1TBS of dried organic lavender to the bottle.
- Using a funnel, add the lavender directly into the bottle of vodka and recap and shake to distribute. I typically let the vodka steep for 1 week, shaking it daily.
- Once ready, strain the vodka into a clean container through a fine mesh strainer to remove the flowers.
- Strain the vodka back into the vodka bottle using a funnel and lining the funnel with a coffee filter to remove the finer grains.
To create the strawberry lemon simple syrup for the cocktail:
- In a medium saucepan, add 1lbs of strawberries, sliced in half with the stems removed. Also add the peels from one lemon, the juice from that lemon, 1/4 cup of sugar and 2 cups of water. Note: When peeling your lemon, be careful not to peel the white pith (white spongy layer between the peel and the citrus fruit) of the lemon because this will cause extra bitterness.
- Simmer the strawberries on medium low for ~15 minutes, stirring occasionally to breakdown the strawberries.
- Once ready, allow the strawberries to cool slightly.
- Now strain the strawberries into a clean heat-safe container through a fine mesh strainer to remove.
- Strain the syrup into a bottle for storage using a funnel and lining the funnel with a coffee filter to remove the strawberry seeds.
- Once cooled completely, place in the refrigerator for storage.
- Note: This will store for ~2-3 weeks and hold onto those strawberries and lemon peels for a special treat with yogurt or ice cream 😋
Now, let’s move onto creating the Strawberry Lavender Lemon Cocktail.
Note: This recipe will make four 6 oz cocktails. You’ll need a shaker and cocktail jigger.
- Add ice to a shaker with 6oz of lavender vodka and 6oz of strawberry lemon simple syrup and shake vigorously.
- Add ice to your glasses and strain the cocktail over the ice.
- Top with seltzer water, give it a little stir and serve with a lemon wedge. Enjoy and cheers 🥂